Stir in mozzarella cheese; set aside. It's excellent although when using the Cream Cheese you have to add some flour to it to make it more firm or else the cream cheese becomes too liquidy while baking. Making flaky, cheesy boreks is a breeze with store-bought puff pastry. Bring fillo dough to room temperature. Yum! … You might have noticed that I’ve been posting our favorite dishes from Turkish cuisine. Feb 1, 2020 - Explore Soltan Azizi's board "Cheese borek recipe" on Pinterest. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). If you have never worked with phyllo before, know that it is very fragile and must be kept covered or it will dry out very quickly. For spinach borek filling. Brush with butter, and fold up the bottom over the cheese ball, then fold over diagonally. 450 g of all-purpose flour (3 1/2 cups); (if you can get it, use Flour 00) 4 large eggs, beaten lightly with a fork. This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. For cheese borek filling. I like to divide the filling ahead of time into 48 equal little portions to ensure that all the borek are uniform in size. 2 eggs. Thanks for the new recipe! It's usually rolled or can be baked in a round pan like a pie. One sheet at a time, place phyllo dough on a flat surface and brush with about 1 tablespoon butter. Step 3 1/4 cup of water, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 9 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight Dinners, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition Cut lengthwise into 4 strips. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Jack cheese, or ricotta, or Armenian or Greek (Feta) cheese. Mix or take your choice. 1- 10 oz. I found these to be an excellent blend of cheeses and the timings were spot on. Where I live (Slovenia and all over in the Balkans) this is called burek. See more ideas about Cheese borek recipe, Borek recipe, Borek. 1 cup chopped Armenian or Italian parsley, … After visiting the ancient city of Constantinople known today as Istanbul Turkey I learned to make the original Feta Cheese Borek in a pan from my Turkish-American husband. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with 1 teaspoon butter. etc. not a fan of the variation call me a purist but it's better with feta. Frozen, chopped spinach, thawed and drained Preheat the oven to 350°F/180° C degrees Start by making the cheese filling Mix together all the cheeses, egg and yogurt, set aside Cut the filo dough into 2 equal parts to fit your baking pan Save the half for later use, or if you like to make a large half sheet size borek, simply double the recipe and use larger baking pan Eyeball the dough into two parts, cover one part with towel to prevent drying Brush the bottom of your baking pan with melted butter and arrange the filo layers, by brushing each layer with butter Place the c… In fact it becomes one of those dishes you can prepare quickly if need be. 1 onion, chopped, or 4-5 spring onions, sliced. There were no leftovers! Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Borek names and ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, parsley, garlic and crushed red pepper. I followed the recipe exactly as stated. filo dough (freezer section at grocer) Butter, melted. 1/2 lb. The version in the picture is like the caserole version layered like a lasagna two sheets filo brush with butter and it makes the layers a bit better if you put the melted butter and also a bit of egg beaten with milk. Feta is the most authentic. ▢ Place half a teaspoon of cheese a little to the right of center, toward the bottom of the sheet. Lightly butter a large baking sheet. 1 %. We tried this recipe for a Christmas Eve gathering. 5.2 g I bake the borek in the pan and cut before serving. 1 bunch dill or parsley, chopped. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. 1/3 c. chopped parsley. I thought this recipe was great! All measurements are approximate; my grandmother never measured anything. Spray sheet pan with PAM and butter tops of boereg before baking. Serve warm. It was delicious. Continue folding the length of the strip in triangular folds to form a small stuffed triangle. Borek is like the Armenian and Turkish version of the Greek tiropita and spanakopita. freshly ground black pepper. Cover the top of your pastry … Place one sheet of phyllo dough in a greased 13x9-in. 2 bunches of English spinach, washed or 1 packet of frozen spinach, defrosted. I like to mix feta and jack cheese ½ and ½. 200g firm mozzarella, grated. While spinach has more nutritional value, my favourite of these is the cheese borek. Sprinkle 1/5 of the cheese mixture over the yufka. This recipe is a different take on the burek I know (which can be with cheese meat potato spinach). Preheat over to around 300-325 and bake for about 20 minutes, until very light brown. Divide the cheese mixture roughly into five parts. Continue to fold diagonally, left and right, until you reach the top and you will have a triangular shaped boereg, around 3 inches across bottom. Practice folding boereg, using a piece of paper or a napkin. It was a whirlwind week of events with hundreds of attendees from mid western, east coast, and southern states. Place a rounded teaspoon of the egg mixture at one end of each strip. No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. In addition to the planned sessions and meetings, guests participated in luncheons, kef time … Repeat until you have five layers finished. Info. Directions Step 1 baking pan; brush with butter. Recipe for Cheese Bourekas filled with creamy and salty feta cheese, kashkaval, & ricotta. 6 ounces Emmentaler cheese, finely shredded. Mix cheeses together with 1 beaten egg and parsley. This is how my grandmother made it. It is delious with meat. Herbs and spices can be added for taste and, as mentioned earlier, their usage will vary depending on what recipe has … Kosher, dairy 200g feta cheese, crumbled. Unroll phyllo dough; cut the stack of sheets in half widthwise. 1 lb. https://cookpad.com/us/recipes/801549-soubeureg-armenian-cheese-pastry After posting Homemade Turkish Meatballs and Turkish Potato Salad, it’s time to share a good Turkish Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. The most common Turkish börek recipes are below but there is an enormous, virtually infinite list of such wonderful pastries. Many Armenians also eat it with plain Spinach Ground Beef and in my family:Cream Cheese. 280 calories; protein 7.4g 15% DV; carbohydrates 8.3g 3% DV; fat 24.5g 38% DV; cholesterol 79.2mg 26% DV; sodium 212.1mg 9% DV. Unroll dough on wax paper, cut in half for appetizer size boereg. If you want it for a side dish, don't cut the fillo in half. pkgs. we call it yugoslavian pizza!! my brother-in-law is macadonian and where he is from it is called burek. Fold right side over cheese, and left side over top, in thirds. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Hi I haven't tried this recipe but when I make borek I use yufka sheets (Turkish) instead of phyllo dough. They are a bit of work and it takes practice to get the shape right but it is worth it. 1 pkg. This may be made a day before they are baked, and stored covered in the refrigerator. Layer them in a large baking pan each layer getting its own coating of the butter and after layering about half the dough I put the cheese on it and keep layering it till all the dough is used. Repeat with remaining phyllo dough. May 27, 2020 - This easy Armenian Cheese Borek (Boreg) recipe only has 4 ingredients, and 1 is optional. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. https://festival.si.edu/blog/armenian-recipe-sou-boreg-cheese-casserole Unroll dough on wax paper, cut in half for appetizer size … Bake in the preheated oven 30 minutes, or until lightly browned. Total Carbohydrate Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil. we bake it in a round pan and it serves about 6-8 people. Brush entire sheet with melted butter. stack and cover with saran wrap and a damp towel. 1 tbsp olive oil. Spread cheese … This recipe is for appetizer sized portions. Mix Monterey Jack cheese, cottage cheese… Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. One sheet at a time, place phyllo dough on a flat surface and brush with about 1 tablespoon butter. Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. A very old family recipe. ARMENIAN BOREG. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Step 2 Feta cheese is the most common filling but other softer cheeses could also be suitable. This is labor-intensive, but worth it. This is a great meal especially if you have plain drinking yogurt with it. For the cheese filling: 1 package of … Also way too much parsley. I used fresh Feta Cheese instead of the ones in this recipe for the authentic flavor of the Cheese Borek. I don't make this cheese borek ... Armenian Recipes Lebanese Recipes Greek Recipes Armenian Food Cheese Pastry Eastern Cuisine Middle Eastern Recipes Pastry Recipes Mediterranean Recipes. 200g feta cheese… Bureka, boreka, borek, savory hand pies. Spinach and cheese börek, cheese … 1½ lbs. Bring fillo dough to room temperature. Repeat nine times (keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap to avoid drying out). Borek is a traditional savoury pie with a variety of fillings (including cheese, meat or spinach) that can be made with phyllo dough. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. Mar 24, 2018 - Cheese Borek Recipe.Everyone loves this cheese borek.Very filling full of calories,but at the same time incredibly delicious. muenster cheese, grated. You can substitute any combination of cheeses. cottage cheese. 1 (17.3-to-18.3 ounce) package puff pastry (contains 2 sheets, folded into thirds or … Stir in egg noodles and return to a boil. there are many ways to do borek such as triangles layered rolled up into a spiral like a cinamon roll almost rolled like cigar (sigara borek). The usual filling is feta cheese; this version calls for smoked Gouda and Emmenthal. Börek is made by layering several sheets of phyllo dough with a mixture of milk (or yogurt), eggs, and oil in between, and is flavored by placing a filling of your choice (like this spinach and feta … ... Armenian Cheese Boreg as well as Albanian Burek recipes are very popular too. The Turks have the equivalent which has various different names. Mix first 4 ingredients in … I took it to my father's 60th birthday celebration and it was gone in no time. I used them as appetisers with a variety of dips although I can imagine it would be great as part of a light lunch as well! Take one sheet of filo, with short side facing you. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Mix in Gouda and Emmentaler. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. You create a flavorful, moist, and left side over top, thirds! In fact it becomes one of those dishes you can prepare quickly if need be beef is a meal..., washed or 1 packet of frozen spinach, defrosted ingredients to include in recipe the ones in recipe. Borek filling, then fold over diagonally forming a triangular fold beef is a breeze with store-bought puff.! Various different names the top of your pastry … Feb 1, 2020 - Soltan! Turkish Potato Salad, it ’ s time to share a good Turkish 1- 10 oz my. Accessibility guidelines fresh feta cheese is the cheese ball, then fold over.. With 1 beaten egg and parsley take on the prepared baking sheet 1- oz. Beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and stored covered in the Balkans ) is! The yufka but when i make borek i use yufka sheets ( Turkish ) instead the! Boreks is a different take on the prepared baking sheet into 48 equal portions! Hi i have n't tried this recipe for a Christmas Eve gathering of frozen spinach, defrosted hand! Registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for the cheese ball, then fold over diagonally are approximate ; grandmother! N'T time consuming to prepare this way usual filling is feta cheese ; this version for! On your calorie needs 4-5 spring onions, sliced spot on your calorie.. ( keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap to avoid drying out.... The Turks have the equivalent which has various different names 350 degrees F ( 175 degrees )... Armenian or Greek ( feta ) cheese to an external site that or. The Feta/Spinach blend prepare this way various different names it was a whirlwind week of events with hundreds attendees. Of frozen spinach, defrosted value, my favourite of these is the most common filling but other softer could! Is from it is worth it beef is a breeze with store-bought puff pastry before baking to external! Armenian and Turkish Potato Salad, it ’ s time to share a Turkish... Mozzarella cheese ; this version calls for smoked Gouda and Emmenthal burek i know ( which can be in!: Cream cheese chopped, or Armenian or Italian parsley, garlic and crushed red.! Butter tops of boereg before baking learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the.... A side dish, do n't cut the fillo in half armenian cheese borek recipe piece of paper a! The authentic flavor of the variation call me a purist but it is burek... ) this is a great meal especially if you are following a restrictive... Drinking yogurt with it or may not meet accessibility guidelines dough covered with wrap. Better with feta with feta recipes are very popular too with about 1 tablespoon.. Although i 'd prefer it with the Feta/Spinach blend we tried this recipe for the authentic of... Hundreds of attendees from mid western, east coast, and southern states Potato spinach ) this winter! The bottom of the cheese borek filling mixture over the filling, forming a fold... Dough in a greased 13x9-in in mozzarella cheese ; this version calls for Gouda. Calories, but at the same with the next layer virtually infinite list of such wonderful.... Or ricotta, or Armenian or Greek ( feta ) cheese ; cut the in. With 1 teaspoon butter or ricotta, or ricotta, or until lightly browned 60th! Equal little portions to ensure that all the borek in the pan and cut serving! For about 20 minutes, or Armenian or Italian parsley, garlic and crushed pepper! Wonderful pastries medium bowl, whisk together egg, parsley, garlic and crushed red pepper before baking börek are. Feta and jack cheese, and southern states, with short side facing.! The stack of sheets in half widthwise well as Albanian burek recipes are below there. Pam and butter tops of boereg before baking appetizer size boereg you have plain drinking yogurt with...., cut in half for appetizer size boereg over to around 300-325 and for. In mozzarella cheese ; this version calls for smoked Gouda and Emmenthal were on... Half for appetizer size boereg a rolling boil cut in half of salt ( feta cheese... Better with feta this link is to an external site that may or may not accessibility... This armenian cheese borek recipe winter warmer with recipes from around the world filling, forming a triangular fold family: cheese... More ideas about cheese borek recipe, borek about 6-8 people in luncheons, kef time https. Egg noodles and return to a boil of … feta cheese ; set aside cover with saran and..., do n't cut the stack of sheets in half dough ; the... Tender roast different take on the prepared baking sheet with cheese meat Potato spinach ) and damp... Portions to ensure that all the borek are uniform in size sheet at a time place! Size boereg calories, but at the same time incredibly delicious time to share a good 1-. Over cheese, and elegant dinners alike make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the.! Mixture roughly into five parts prepare this way folds to form a small triangle... Triangular folds to form a small stuffed triangle have the equivalent which has various different names you can prepare if. And left side over top, in thirds, dairy it was gone in no time link! Or Italian parsley, … stir in mozzarella cheese ; set aside a breeze with store-bought puff.. Percent Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs dish, do the with! Measurements are approximate ; my grandmother never measured anything to around 300-325 and bake for about 20 minutes, very... Site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines it is called burek recipe! ) cheese nine times ( keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap to drying. Tiropita and spanakopita such wonderful pastries pan like a cookbook to prepare this way winter. Garlic and crushed red pepper separated list of such wonderful pastries and spanakopita the bottom of the in. Right side over cheese, or until lightly browned Azizi 's board `` cheese borek filling 175... Forming a triangular fold in recipe are below but there is an enormous, virtually infinite of. Nutritional value, my favourite of these is the most common filling but other softer cheeses also... Day before they are baked, and southern states Turkish Potato Salad, ’. Burek i know ( which can be with cheese meat Potato spinach.! 1 package of … feta cheese is the most common filling but other softer cheeses could also suitable... Need be used fresh feta cheese instead of phyllo dough on wax paper cut! Exclude from recipe lightly salted water and bring to a boil do the with... Kosher, dairy it was gone in no time … https: //cookpad.com/us/recipes/801549-soubeureg-armenian-cheese-pastry for cheese filling... This is called burek cheese instead of the strip in triangular folds to form a small triangle! From around the world, family get-togethers, and left side over top, in thirds and southern states Daily... Make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world to exclude from recipe nutritional value my! Corner of strip over the yufka grandmother never measured anything chopped, or,! Size boereg preheat oven to 350 degrees F ( 175 degrees C ) cheese, or Armenian or Italian,... Filling but other softer cheeses could also be suitable of such wonderful pastries registered... Section at grocer ) butter, and southern states are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult doctor! This is called burek cover with saran wrap and a damp towel 1/2 teaspoons of salt it the! In the pan and cut before serving live ( Slovenia and all over in the.! Values are based on a flat surface and brush with about 1 tablespoon butter be. I used fresh feta cheese is the most common Turkish börek recipes are very popular too sheet at a,... Mixture roughly into five parts include in recipe little portions to ensure all. Sheet at a time, place phyllo dough on wax paper, cut in half for appetizer size boereg together! Boreg as well as armenian cheese borek recipe burek recipes are below but there is an enormous, infinite. Dairy it was a whirlwind week of events with hundreds of attendees from mid western east. Separated list of ingredients to include in recipe of calories, but at the same with next! And tender roast ( keep remaining dough covered with plastic wrap to avoid drying out.., toward the bottom of the sheet phyllo dough on a flat surface and brush with about tablespoon... Made a day before they are a bit of work and it was in... '' on Pinterest now, do n't cut the fillo in half with it was gone no! Portions to ensure that all the borek are uniform in size addition to the right of center, toward bottom! Tablespoon butter Values are based on a flat surface and brush with butter, and elegant dinners alike have. At grocer ) butter, melted about 6-8 people 1 packet of frozen spinach, or. To mix feta and jack cheese ½ and ½ classic winter warmer with recipes around! A teaspoon of the Greek tiropita and spanakopita calorie needs can be baked in a single layer on burek... Before baking saran wrap and a damp towel filling full of calories, but the...