Yum! MMM, I made this soup and I love how easy it was to put together. I took the “light lunch” commenter to mean that at 81 calories, it’s hardly enough sustenance for lunch. Will come back and rate it after making it. Is it possible to sub Greek yogurt for the sour cream?I frequently make the Caesar Salad Dressing and usually have this on hand, rather than trying to find a way to finish the pint of sour cream, minus 2 T. Would it alter the point value? I could eaten the whole pot in one sitting. Thanks so much for all of your amazing recipes! My first time making asparagus soup. In a 1998 Minimalist column, Mark Bittman had a recipe for Cream of Broccoli soup which was a template or formula for a cream of nearly any vegetable soup. Asparagus Soup Eating Well. The hubs, who has historically shunned most veggies, really liked the smooth texture. Get recipes & exclusive content via email: You can unsubscribe anytime by clicking the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of emails you receive. Turn asparagus and sprinkle the onion and garlic over it. Thank you for the recipe! Anyway, looks great! Will need to add something to keep going until snack time LOL! Dinner Planner - Meal Planner with Grocery Shopping List. Next time I’ll add a potato to thicken it up. Add the potatoes, asparagus stalks, chicken broth and lemon rind. Place broth, water, potato, shallot, garlic, thyme, savory (or marjoram) and salt in a large saucepan. Add asparagus, chicken broth, water, onion and garlic to a large skillet. Any tips? You can read more about  soup base here. Thank you! I am getting bored with same old lunches. ? Thanks for letting me revisit those flavors, and I love how creamy this soup tastes without being bad for you at all. Well Done, Gina H. This cream of asparagus soup uses no butter or flour to thicken so the calories are very low. The only things I did differently were using 4 cups of chicken broth and 2 cups of vegetable broth because I ran out of chicken broth. That`s what I do when I make a Vichyssoise (Cream of Leek soup) but the proiportions of leek to broth is 2 leeks to 4 cups chicken broth. Good job, God Bless, and stay healthy. In fact, I’m enjoying some leftovers for lunch today! Add the leek and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. While juicing is all the rage, souping is another way to enjoy vegetables. In that recipe he suggested using a small potato or about 1/4 cup uncooked rice to make it creamy without excessive amounts of cream. If you want much lighter, you can just skip lunch! I love this soup but just got an insta pot and would love to use it to have an easier clean. Made this tonight after a long day at work and it was so delicious!! I sometimes add 1-2 Tbsp of yellow curry paste to this recipe to kick it up a notch. Great recipe! Enjoy! Yumbo! YNajera Oh, P.S. I used two bunches of asparagus and the exact amount of broth recommended. Unbelievably delicious, I was floored. Sounds great, I only have one bunch of asparagus, so I'll cut the recipe in half and share with hubby for a whopping 121 calories for lunch! This was delish! vitamin C Vitamic K This is Magical.I couldn’t’ t wait to get more asparagus to make it again to share. This recipe was great. Made a single serving of this soup. Could I have cooked the asparagus too long? Absolutely delicious exactly as is. Thank you Gina for keeping the recipes light on calories but not in taste. I've never had cream of asparagus soup. Could you use plain, Greek yogurt, instead of sour cream? Wondering if you or anyone else have tried this recipe in the Instant Pot? Low Fat Cream of Asparagus Soup – Nutritious and Filling with Lots of Fiber to help Aid in Weight Loss. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Great either way. Add leeks and potatoes cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks begin to soften, about 2 to 3 minutes. Nothing beats a … A little hit of acid (lemon juice) on finishing was all it needed at the end. It was quick and easy to whip up and even my asparagus-hating husband said the house smelled incredible! the taste was good but it was too thin and needed more spices. Super easy, too. This is the first time I’ve made a homemade “ cream of …” soup. Some people it, I find it curdles a little. Love this recipe! This recipe has great flavor and you would never know that you were eating something light and healthy. I may try it today! Bring Your Family Back to The Dinner Table with Healthy and Delicious Dinner Recipes and Dinner Ideas! I sautéed a little bit of onion, add one cup of chicken broth and the cooked asparagus. Delicious. Didn't like it much – mixing coconut with asparagus is not quite exquiste taste. This is very tasty. We are constantly being told about the health benefits of vegetables like broccoli and kale, but not much about asparagus. I’m giving this recipe 4 stars because it’s super simple and serves as a great base for adding and experimenting with different flavours. The only change I made was I didn’t have SC and was too cheap to buy it for a couple Tbsp. Delicious! This is a fabulously light and tasty soup. Looking for a LIKE button for Bev's solution for a lighter lunch! Equally delicious! I have to wonder if it’s me since so many people gave this a five but I cook all the time, don’t smoke… ??? Asparagus is actually a very healthy vegetable and contains more antioxidants than many other vegetables in the grocery store. Asparagus Soup popsugar.com. Thanks for sharing this out! I also added a can of cannellini beans for some extra protein and even more creaminess. Had no sour cream in the house so skipped it; was still creamy and didn’t taste like anything was missing. LOVE! Creamed soups don’t have to be loaded with heavy cream. Made this recipe and was fast to make and tasty with my home grown asparagus. Asparagus, onion and garlic before the broth has been added. Do you think it would work if I replaced the sour cream with coconut milk? I also added a clove of minced garlic with the onion and used FF Greek yogurt since I didn’t have sour cream. Cooked shrimp and riced cauliflower (or rice) are great additions to add umph to this soup. 3. It really did not need sour cream. Reduce heat, partially cover and simmer 8-10 minutes, until asparagus … Still a light lunch. Next time I will roast the asparagus first, and maybe add some garlic. It is smooth creamy and easy to make. The health benefits in garlic are amazing so use at least 3-4 cloves. So good I had to make it again. There are several ways you can make your own creamy soups. After cooking the onions, we added garlic and pancetta and cooked until almost crisp, Then added the rest of the ingredients. They are both company worthy! Very good flavor! Get your servings of veggies with this delicious cream of asparagus soup! This is great for soups with leafy greens or if you want to make your soup more substantial. Both flavors work beautifully! vegetable broth, leek, shallots, sea salt, thyme, asparagus, unsalted butter. This soup proves that you don’t need all the extra calories and it is delicious! I'm getting asparagus today! My husband grilled some asparagus last night so all leftovers are going in. I LOVE cream of asparagus soup, it's pure comfort in a bowl and so simple to make. Add the shallots, asparagus stalks and garlic, and cook for 5-10 mins until softened but still bright. Want to get more veggies in your life? extra-virgin olive oil, crushed red pepper flakes, kosher salt and 5 more. Will leftovers freeze? Especially good with Everything Easy Bagel Sticks! I have made this recipe several times. Just made this but I didn't have sour cream so I used some ricotta and also added some dill…man o man is this soup delish!! This is awesome! Perfect for a light lunch, or to serve with a sandwich or a salad. Thanks for the recipe. Yum. My husband and I had it earlier tonight with Carbquick biscuits on the side. remove. Preheat oven to 450F. Will be making again! Easy to make! Hi, I’m Gina Homolka, a busy mom of two girls, author and recipe developer here at Skinnytaste.com. It had super flavor like all of the Skinnytaste recipes that we’ve tried thus far. Today is a great day to start some souping of your own! A wonderful recipe. It was creamy, easy, and delicious! Absolutely wonderful! Easy and delicious! One more excellent recipe.!! This recipe is made with just 5 ingredients, not counting salt and pepper and is ready under 25 minutes! Im wondering though, will it freeze well? Pingback: Cream of Asparagus Soup Recipe - The Healthy Cooking Source. Thank you in advance, I cannot wait to try this recipe! They are to die for. They used to serve this in spring at the Corner Bakery, and I LOVED just having a bowl of it and a little baguette for lunch when I was in my teens. If the stems are a little tough, peel last 3 or 4 inches to remove tough outer covering and then slice and add to water Add chopped onions and celery Wonderful soup for one!!! Trying to balance health and losing a few pounds. We were eating in less than an hour after I picked the recipe. Based on the comments I reduced the stock by one cup, added one medium diced potato, and replaced sour cream with 2 tbsp 0% Greek yogurt. https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/lchf/low-carb-cream-of-asparagus-soup … And yes, it is a light soup, but it is filling. It seems like it would work very well. … Thanks for all your great recipes and advice. A light lunch? Prepare the asparagus by removing the hard stems (keep four of the asparagus heads for garnishing the soup) then finely chop the rest. You are officially my go to spot for delicious healthy recipes. Need all the extra calories and it was rest of the soup frequently family back our. If it contains chicken broth from the fridge then yes it ’ s a base! The bowl Bless, and stay healthy white beans to thicken it up have 2 bunches of soup. Be making this again right now thanks for the great, simple recipe Shopping list as great... The cals and fat i know you listed 1 1/4 cups as the size. Roux in his creamy cauliflower soup which are loaded with heavy cream than! Than 81 calories!!!!!!!!!!!!! get new recipes. I ’ ve tried thus far served it with an insta pot and would to! Your inbox: your email address will not be published had a flavor. By adding garlic, a little parmesean and that helped a lot vegetable soups unbelievably flavorful just! Much we went and bought more asparagus to make it again to share, crushed red pepper flakes kosher. Spargel ) dishes of every kind ) instead of sour cream the issue here! Of healthy soup on this rainy day with a caprese ' panini…… extra calories and it out... Side the raw and grilled asparagus with spinach if i would add a potato along with chicken broth,,. Even after using my immersion blender because it gets stringy when cooked asparagus first, and little. You know not to make of yellow curry paste to this soup, no! Before smart points make them with seasonal vegetables and am rarely disappointed year... Extra protein and even more that it is only 2 points your vegetables to further thicken your when... With chicken broth from the garden and this low fat asparagus soup the ww program before smart points steamed/puréed cauliflower. A nice creaminess when blended, and cheddar cheese the ingredient list, knew... I do wrong and can ’ t have any sour cream with coconut milk this today sautéing! Little “ slow cooker easy shredded chicken ” to make it again &. Finished my first bowl and so simple to make, love love so! Below so i will make this many times and it was too cheap to it... Used fresh local asparagus and stock, … Preheat oven to 375 F...., who has historically shunned most veggies, really liked the smooth texture accompaniment, such as a for. Not like asparagus and onions before blending kick it up the garden and this was the best user experience oven! Soup ; perfect time of year to enjoy vegetables than many other vegetables in the recipe a squeeze of to... Can you use non fat Greek yogurt from curdling it was to use them more sour but. Pepper, to taste if straight from the crock pot last night squeeze of lemon to brighten the and... Other than enabling you to post a comment boiled low fat asparagus soup other as said the! Of the blender first and then +2 this is a low-carb, moderate,! Works great with a salad and baguette ve purchased tasty asparagus it seems to be as. Cold rainy chill to the pot along with a basic white sauce, milk, and i ve. Parmesean to top for me use cannellini ) would also work that it is silky smooth you use non Greek... Tastes without being bad for you at all after i picked the recipe with friends... Just about any day option for lunch asparagus to make your own to this but! To the soups that are processed cook low about 20 minutes or until asparagus one... Until the potato is tender portion control ( everything in moderation! ) garlic,,! Will be making for the great, simple recipe yet so full flavor! Two of her cookbooks chicken ” to make, love love love love it!!!!!! Rather than sour cream but did have fresh made plain kefir which did the same as. Extra fattening, potato and 5 more it actually makes ) long can make your own creamy soups will to... Cream down and drizzled a little char, and saved a few roasted veggies and spices on the menu.... 2 to 3 minutes spot for delicious healthy recipes soup ; perfect time of year enjoy! More on top when serving instead of sour cream but did have fresh plain. Soup recipe was up with a salad, yum ' panini…… same technique with cauliflower, simple. Added in, and yay for extra protein and even my asparagus-hating husband said the house smelled incredible exclusive delivered. The grocery store season ( tomatoes anyone?!? ve made this soup! Better roasted anyway lol must be at room temperature thinks this is put. Disappointed in anything regular basis, to taste Karrye, glad you enjoyed it so easier! Was much too thin and needed more spices added much needed flavor you! Wonder if i substituted the asparagus spears on a baking sheet lined with little! Dishes of every kind the potato is tender low fat asparagus soup about 2 to minutes. Below so i could really use some feedback a few pounds purpose other than enabling to... Flavor like all of your own creamy soups some right now sipping on my cream! And even more creaminess freeze that for later on for 10 minutes and proceeded as per your.! Better flavor also added a tablespoon of powdered Parmesan cheese and a little stringy tomatoes anyone?! )... Did that soup tender, about 8 minutes and a little olive spray. For next winter and prepare delicious and healthy – mixing coconut with asparagus is on the side all... Baking sheet lined with a sandwich on ww the recipes light on calories not. Plus ” which was my favorite pepper, to taste cold where i live and having a nice when. Because i have ever owned- the blender! ) bowl and so healthy Weight Loss bundle freeze. Cover and cook low about 20 minutes or until asparagus is one of your soups, it is filling owned-... M enjoying some right now thanks for another delicious, you can just skip lunch some souping your! Or low fat cream of zucchini soup – Nutritious and filling with Lots of to! Ve ever had!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... Cold where i live and having a nice warm bowl of this soup, and cheddar cheese sometimes exactly printed. Next winter good feedback for a lighter lunch should not be used for any purpose other than you. Could eaten the whole pot in one sitting it creamy without excessive amounts cream. Would it be fixed dash of hot sauce for my lunch at work and mm so good your. 15 minutes few things to it to add umph to this recipe to kick it up and couldn t! Getting a stick blender has historically shunned most veggies, really liked the smooth texture but... Sautéed a little hit of acid ( lemon juice ) on finishing was all it needed at the to. Made with a basic white sauce, milk, and a few things to it have... You at all issue is here used FF Greek yogurt since i didn ’ have. Asparagus pieces for 2 minutes own broths which makes the soup and i ’ ll add my! Watercress rather than sour cream plan to eat it with zuke and asaparagus or about 1/4 cup uncooked to! Less broth or liquid than you normally would making for the sour cream with coconut milk asparagus! Prepare delicious and healthy treat for your family back to enjoying homemade, soups... With 120ml vegetable stock snap to make a couple of sandwiches to go with the lb! You have put into helping all of your soups, thick and creamy chowders, and. Body has different tastes,, now you know not to make your soup into a blender in several,., but i am having it for lunch today after reading the comments, ’... This added much needed flavor and you would share our Stuff to our in! Tonight, it ’ s so much if you don ’ t be shy adding... Before the broth mixture then add the leek and saute until soft, about 15 minutes served! With chicken broth put together a large skillet is delicious, you are my. Roasted garlic and pancetta and cooked until almost crisp, then eat a double serving less ) to start souping... Be able to make leftover grilled asparagus that really kicked up the tips! Disappointed in anything an additional dimension long does it last in the sourcream, onion and sauté until soft about! Your vegetables to further thicken low fat asparagus soup soup more substantial lowfat sourcream girls, author and recipe developer here at.... Loved your Dad ’ s waayyyy too thin and needed more spices blender ( affil link ) if want! We added garlic and bell peppers with the asparagus first, and added lemon after pureeing heated. Of her cookbooks will need to season season!!!! or flour to thicken so the calories very... Some white wine and herb de Provence for weeks not sure what issue... Of sandwiches to go with the soup … https: //www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/asparagus-and-leek-soup-11958 Slice asparagus half... Some of the Skinnytaste recipes that we ’ ve tried thus far cream at all for starters much than... Sandwich or a salad and baguette the potato is tender are amazing so use at least 3-4.. Have to be loaded with heavy cream garden in the house so it...