Written by Cory Waldal. Trust me, the hens can share. Paradoxically, many nesting boxes will make chickens use them for sleeping and defecating, but less likely to lay eggs in them. Farmers with large flocks allow between 50 and 60 birds per box. (scraps of fence or boards). You definitely do not need to have a nest for every chicken. It is pretty common to hear long time chicken keepers to say: “More boxes, more eggs!” We have also heard of backyard chicken keepers using one box for every six to eight hens. Many commercial supply houses, farm, and feed stores offer rubber mats that fit in the bottom of chicken nesting boxes. If you have an even split of laying times between your birds, then you will need fewer nesting boxes. Place a hay bale in front of the nest box or make a ramp up to the roost bar. Recreating the setting of the hens' older housing can also make them adapt quicker. How many chickens per laying box? How many chickens can I have for four nesting boxes. You will want your nesting boxes to be at least one foot tall by one foot wide by one foot deep. 2 – How many nesting boxes do I need? Most hens will lay five to six eggs a week. Is It Cheaper To Buy Or Build A Chicken Coop. The larger standard chickens such as the Dominique, Faverolles or Australorp will each require the full 4 square feet of coop space. Some birds will lay everyday, and you may even get a hen that is a legend and that lays more than once a day at times. Clean nesting boxes will also go a long ways in making sure they get used. How Many Nesting Boxes Per Chicken. How many nesting boxes do I need for seven chickens? They will be free ranged so space is not an issue. (Table Included) - Backyard … 4 months ago. My hen house is way overboard, but I'm not farming chickens. They also seem to be trying to establish a minimum. I think that beats having to cut your new coop to modify it by adding more nesting boxes. Farmers with large flocks allow between 50 and 60 birds per box. You should plan on one box per 4-6 hens. In this article we will focus on the best way to provide enough nesting boxes for your lady birds. Homemade Incubators For Backyard Chickens I am going to be completely honest, with full disclosure, I have never hatched fertilized eggs before. If you are thinking that might be the case, check out this pre-made nesting box from Tractor Supply. ? You need about 1 nesting box per 5 hens. Flocks of different sizes have different needs – you don’t need a million nesting boxes if you only have a few hens! One factor that seems to affect this the most is the time of day that your birds lay their eggs. Mr. Heater Big Buddy Portable Heater, Massachusetts Version, F274865 [More], Sometimes it is nice to have a product that looks great and will last a long time, even if that means you do not DIY. But for the best sanitation, the material should be non-porous like plastic or metal. Having too many birds in too small of a space can cause health problems. How many nesting boxes per chicken? How Long Do Chickens Live? If they all tend to lay at the same time, then you will need more nesting boxes. So, It is important to follow the tips given for encouraging chickens to lay eggs in nesting boxes only. Secondly, chickens share nests. Tagged best chicken nesting boxes, best laying box for chickens, best laying box for hens, best nesting box for chickens, best nesting box for hens, best nesting box for my flock, chicken nesting box dimensions, chickens kick the bedding out of nesting box, chickens scratch out bedding from nesting box, coop bedding material, DIY chicken nesting boxes, do laying boxes need to be … How many nesting boxes per chicken is ideal? A good general rule of thumb is to have one nesting box for every three to four hens. ? ), Install hot wire 3" up from the floor around the coop perimeter. I let them out during the day but at night I don't want my coop to get over crowded if I have five nesting boxes how many chickens should I have (max). A good rule of thumb, is 1 nest per 5-6 hens. Farmers with large flocks allow between 50 and 60 birds per box. You may still find them all, or most of them, laying in the same box… Always place the nesting boxes lower than the roosting bars, chickens usually prefer to sleep as high up as they can get. The Lifespan of a Chicken How long do chickens live? We have literally had days where there were about ten eggs in two nesting boxes while the other two nesting boxes were untouched. You will find that hens will either be “morning layers” or “evening layers”. I find that one nesting box for every three hens works great. We have 12 chickens how many nesting box's do we need? One chicken nesting coop or box for every four to six chickens is ideal for making it comfortable inside it. If you can do bigger boxes, obviously, that is always recommended. Mar 10, 2014 #1 . By doing this, you will be able to get the best odds that your hen will lay eggs in their nest boxes rather than somewhere outside. Using scrap materials you already have (such as old pallets) will help cut costs. I am going to build a chicken tractor. This part of your backyard chicken journey is exciting. 6 months ago. Place birds you see nesting in the "wrong place" area directly into the box. Chickens … There are many reports of pet chickens living as long as 20 years! If you have more than this, the chickens will more than likely start using the boxes to roost and sleep in. Here's exactly what you need to know. Finally, how many chickens do you intend on keeping? Alternatively, you could make some yourself from new or recycled materials. Place a piece of the hens old laying nest box set up inside the new box. I let my 7 chickens free range and they all lay their eggs in the same spot in a … So when you’re creating your nesting boxes try to keep them as dark, private, and comfortable as possible. When you’re ready to start building, first get flat wood like plywood that’s around 2 inches thick from a construction supply store or scraps you have from a past project. How Many Nesting Boxes Per Chicken (A Guide To Nesting Boxes) … Keeping track of your daily egg yields will help you maintain enough nesting boxes to avoid overcrowding in the coop. This will help let you know that there is a problem with the nesting box space. Your best bet when planning your backyard chicken coop set up is to plan for four chickens per nesting box. Well, if you have many hens from all the same brood you can probably get away with 4 hens per box. Rules of thumb are always interesting. Any time you ask a bird to change their laying habits, there will usually be an adjustment period. In the run they should have no less than 10 square feet per chicken. If you are new to raising chickens and still figuring out what nesting boxes to use, we are here to help! Second, they give a soft landing to the eggs as they are being laid. Sharing is caring and helps us keep growing here at BackyardChickensHQ. Attention: Sometimes we receive a commission when you make a purchase through the links on our site. Photo: Daphne Cybele 1. Nope, a good ratio is 1 box per 4 chickens. Roosting bars should allow around 8 inches per chicken and the standard 12x 12 inch nesting box will work well. Well, if you have many hens from all the same brood you can probably get away with 4 hens per box. Straw, sand or sawdust are the most common materials I have seen for nesting boxes. You can obviously get away with smaller housing and fewer nesting boxes, but should you? Are you wondering how many nesting boxes per chicken is ideal? The box can be fastened to a wall or used free standing on a stable level surface. Ok…weeellll…actually that’s not true, we, probably like you, love having fresh and great tasting eggs. Many experts discourage poultry enthusiasts from using hay, as it can become moldy and detrimental to the chicken’s health. Place the dirty pads in a tub of detergent water for a few hours then brush, clean, rinse and return them to the nest after they are completely dry. If you are thinking that might be the case, check out this pre-made nesting box from, link to Is It Cheaper To Buy Or Build A Chicken Coop, link to Homemade Incubators For Backyard Chickens. How Many Nest Boxes per Chicken? Wooden Nesting Box; Pros: Using wood for a nesting box is probably the most common for backyard chickens. If you have raised chickens for any length of time, you know they are like toddlers, always finding ways to get into trouble. Remember that these nesting boxes are where your food is going to be deposited. Sometimes it is nice to have a product that looks great and will last a long time, even if that means you do not DIY. The first, and main, reason why chickens sleep in nest boxes is the nest box is higher than the roost. Use bedding inside the nest box. How many nesting boxes do you need for 6 chickens? Regardless of the choice you make, you will need a foot cubed of space per chicken in your nesting box. Keep your hens in their coop for most of the morning as that's when most of egg laying occurs. Cons: At some point you will have a broken eggs. It is true that you can use a crate, or even old drawers from a chest of drawers. 25 0 0. 0 0. cera. How do should I clean the nest pad? It will typically cost between $10-40 per nesting space. We have found that this size works well with bantam breeds and smaller, younger hens. You can do a bigger area, of course. Mar 28, 2020 - Whether you have 6 chickens or 20 chickens, part of planning your setup is knowing how many nesting boxes you neen per chicken. As I stated above sleeping in the nesting box should be discourage. 2. However, there are plenty of poultry supply companies that sell nest boxes and the answer they should give you is approximately one nest box for every 5 – 6 hens. I had a count up of the number of hens and the ratio of chickens to nesting boxes in my setup In one of my egg flock coops I have 30 hens and 8 boxes. Make the "wrong place" laying areas uncomfortable. We have 12 chickens how many nesting box's do we need? It’s really a pain when your chickens start pooping in their boxes because it quickly makes a mess of your nesting … I am going to be completely honest, with full disclosure, I have never hatched fertilized eggs before. (For farmers with large flocks). How do should I clean the nest pad? For farmers with larger flocks, the number of birds per box can be increased. Then you leave that mama be! An eye ring is attached at the top corners of the box for mounting. You don’t need a box for each bird. It would be a waste of space and resources. Anything less than this number is detrimental and a reason for your flock to become territorial, This is because they will start scrambling and fighting for the few available boxes whenever they want to lay eggs. greenhaven New Member. Still other experts will stretch it out to five hens per nesting box. And even if you did, you would find that they would probably all use the same box anyway. Look for signs from your birds that there are problems. I have 3 12" X 12" X 12" and one thats 16 inches long i was thinking i could put my new henns in that we have 6 of em and the split our other 6 three a box and have one extra but my freind is argueing that they wont be comfterable and there will be two silkies in that batch of six ("Wrong place" laying areas refer to any areas your chickens have found to lay their eggs other than their new rollaway nest box. Dec 18, 2017 #2 These are some tips that may help get your chickens more familiar with your nest box. It is always better have more than you need, then to not have enough. Roosting bars should allow around 8 inches per chicken and the standard 12x 12 inch nesting box will work well. In the traditional divided nests, chickens often try to crowd each other out. ... you will need to provide space to roost at night and space for the nesting boxes. You might be able to get away with fewer nesting boxes, but I would rather have unused boxes instead of trying to create more. The boxes can also be double stacked when mounted to a wall. The larger standard chickens such as the Dominique, Faverolles or Australorp will each require the full 4 square feet of coop space. With them being up off the ground, your chickens can still walk underneath them. But if you only have a few hens you should still provide them with a few boxes. This is primarily because of cost and ease of use. My hen house is way overboard, but I'm not farming chickens. Having just one nesting box per chicken will encourage them to sleep in the boxes. Such as eggs being laid in the chicken run or bad behavior near the boxes. First, they help hide the eggs. Use a magnet or tape to secure a red curtain or curtains to the top of the nest box roof. How many chickens are recommended per box? How many nesting boxes do you need for 6 chickens? The nesting box is essential for you, the flock keeper, unless you enjoy searching the yard, outbuildings and under every bush or overhang for eggs! These are some tips that may help get your chickens more familiar with your nest box. While there really is no hard and fast rule about how many nesting boxes for chickens you should have, a basic rule of thumb is 1 nesting box per 4-5 chickens. Attachments. Make sure your nest box is tucked away in a darker and quiet area of your chicken coop. That way your hens will have plenty of room to turn around and fluff up the area before they lay. This is typically for ease of cleaning and collecting eggs. Make the nesting boxes easy to access so they can be cleaned quickly everyday. Remember that for every 4-5 chickens, 1 box is best. These materials provide two different purposes. Do what works for you, and you will be successful. Nest box height. in Misc. Availability. How many chickens are recommended per box? Hens generally reach maturity by the age of 5-6 months old, meaning that they can lay up to 300 eggs per year. Be sure to adjust the height for your breed. And be sure that your ventilation or windows are higher than the chickens' heads when they are roosting to create good airflow in your coop but avoid drafts. - … Keeping a well cared for nesting box system for your flock is the most important thing to having good egg production and getting the most out of your hard work. The reason I ask is, I am building chicken tractors to sell and as I look at other tractors it seems they have alot of boxes for something that only holds 6-8 chickens. 11 reasons chickens sleep in nest boxes and how to stop it. They cost about $5 each but are likely to last a long time and are easy to clean. I am going to build a chicken tractor. If you stay on top of getting the eggs out of there it should be fine. So, if you’re asking yourself, “ how many nesting boxes do I need for 20 chickens?,” rest assured that 5 boxes is enough for 20 chickens. Small nest box - up to 10 hens - Medium nest box - up to 20 hens - The large box accommodates up to 45 chickens. Totally close off "wrong place" laying areas. Best practices for animal… CONTINUE READING. If your chickens get along well and will allow one chicken nesting box per five chickens you can work from there. The number one reason we like having backyard chickens at our house, is to ensure these birds live a happy life. Learn from our 12 years of experience. Many commercial egg operations use community style boxes. How many chickens can use a single nesting box? You may still find them all, or most of them, laying in the same box. You have several options to make it happen. Chickens per nesting box Discussion in 'Coops, Runs and Housing' started by greenhaven, Mar 10, 2014. Getting hens to lay in their nest box can be an issue no matter what style of nest box you choose. You do not need to provide state of the art equipment for your backyard chickens’ nesting boxes. Nobody likes broken eggs. I like to treat my backyard chickens better and provide more than just the minimum. The number one reason we like having backyard chickens at our house, is to ensure these birds live a happy life. Recreating the setting of the hens' older housing can also make them adapt quicker. Each box should be 16 by 16 by 16 inches. Unless of course you have a broody hen who is hatching eggs. And unless you love doing eggs hunts on a daily basis, your backyard chickens will need nesting boxes to lay those delicious, fabulous eggs. Below: Chickens poop all night and will soil nesting boxes. Discourage your hens from using them as roosts. Chickens per nesting box Discussion in 'Coops, Runs and Housing' started by greenhaven, Mar 10, 2014. If you plan on keeping them cooped up full-time then 8 – 10 square feet per chicken would do, counting the outside run. So it is finally time for a chicken coop! Do community style nest boxes really work? Here's exactly what you need to know. How many nesting boxes are necessary? As you keep up with your flock’s nesting boxes, here are some important things to keep in mind: If chickens can not find room in a nesting box to lay their eggs, they will find a secluded place of their own. And of course, the contents will run everywhere! greenhaven New Member. Here we have several budget-friendly options with a selection of nesting box plans and other creative ideas, to give your hens a comfy little space to lay their eggs. So continuing with our example you would need a nesting box six foot long by 1 foot deep for six chickens. Tagged best chicken nesting boxes, best laying box for chickens, best laying box for hens, best nesting box for chickens, best nesting box for hens, best nesting box for my flock, chicken nesting box dimensions, chickens kick the bedding out of nesting box, chickens scratch out bedding from nesting box, coop bedding material, DIY chicken nesting boxes, do laying boxes need to be … Remember to share this post on social media so others can get their own chicken nesting boxes started. One of the most important influences you can have on high egg production in your backyard chicken flock is to provide a safe, clean, and peaceful place for your hens to lay their eggs. Why so few? We once made a nest box for every one of our 30 chickens…it was a BIG mistake! Chickens sleeping in nesting boxes run the risk of breaking and eating their own eggs which is a bad habit to get into and is best avoided. Sometimes we receive a commission when you make a purchase through the links on our site. Mar 29, 2020 - Whether you have 6 chickens or 20 chickens, part of planning your setup is knowing how many nesting boxes you neen per chicken. It is helpful to look to see if eggs are being laid somewhere away from their coop or run. The rule of thumb regarding the number of nesting boxes you need is 3-4 hens per nesting box. I think the main reason to keep nesting boxes off the ground is so you are not losing any floor space. Mar 10, 2014 #1 . Small nest box - up to 10 hens - Medium nest box - up to 20 hens - The large box accommodates up to 45 chickens. (If the hen wants to jump back out, close the roost bar. The best way to do this is by having your roosting bar higher than the nesting boxes. You should plan on one box per 4-6 hens. Keep them clean, uncrowded, and easy to access. So you might see a wide variation and it is somewhat an exercise in trial and error. The bird should feel safely enclosed without having to squeeze in or fight for space. I am not worry about roost space. However, there are plenty of poultry supply companies that sell nest boxes and the answer they should give you is approximately one nest box for every 5 – 6 hens. link to Homemade Incubators For Backyard Chickens Homemade Incubators For Backyard Chickens I am going to be completely honest, with full disclosure, I have never hatched fertilized eggs before. It is ok to keep them on the ground though. If the nesting boxes are not adequate, your backyard chickens will look elsewhere to lay or even worse, you won’t have any eggs! For farmers with larger flocks, the number of birds per box can be increased. One box per 4-6 birds is what I've always been told but mine always wind up laying in one or two and not the others. If you stay on top of getting the eggs out of there it should be fine. For farmers with larger flocks, the number of birds per box can be increased. The idea has always been intriguing to me and I think it would be a fun project to do... We are a family-run blog for helping backyard chicken keepers get great yields and keep happy and healthy birds. If your nest box is higher than your roost bars, your chickens will try to claim it as a sleeping spot. Yes they do! If you have smaller birds, or bantam breeds, you can get away with nesting boxes that are smaller than one foot wide by one foot tall by one foot deep. Chickens will try to roost for the night at the highest height possible in the coop. Do hens need their own nest or will they share with another hen? And since you are choosing a nesting box with a lip, you don’t have to worry about materials falling out. Keep the construction simple and easy to maintain. Nest boxes aren’t essential for hens to lay eggs, they can (and do) lay where they feel secure. In this article we cover the basics of nesting boxes including: best placement, recommended sizes, and how many you need for your flock. ), Place "wrong place" eggs directly into the nest box to discourage other hens from laying there in the "wrong place". Four hens per box is pretty average. You might be getting ready to get your first chicken coop or maybe even debating on... Homemade Incubators For Backyard Chickens. Less than this and you might get some territorial issues. Hopefully you were able to learn something from this post and gain more confidence to get your own chicken nesting boxes going. I think the recommended amount is like 5 per box so two should be good. Chickens like to scratch, roost, and lay in different places for different reasons. Each nesting box can fit one chicken at a time. How many chickens can I have for four nesting boxes. Block off egg tray to keep the nest box full. How to Get Chickens to Use a Nesting Box? In some flocks as many as 10 hens or more will use a single laying box or nest. You should provide at least one nesting box per three to five hens. Four hens per box is pretty average. These are a collection of things we and our customers have done that have worked. Use cardboard inside the new box to create a small divided section. (Bad habits get passed onto other hens.). This best nest box has proven to be successful for farmers and backyard chicken keepers for over a decade. They might only use two of those and making one nesting box for each hen is overkill! Basically, it will depend upon how many chickens you have and how much room you have to work with. Learn how to make a chicken nest box from a 5 gallon bucket in todays video. If it is too crowded, you might have a bit of fighting and pecking so see who gets to lay first. Worst case, you have nesting boxes not being used, which may mean you can get more chickens! Sometimes they seem so outlandish. I always have one thought that always comes to mind for me when I think about the question: “How Many Chickens Per Nesting Box?” That one thought is am I better than the big factory farms? Place or mount at a height so both you and the birds have easy access to the box. ... How to Stop Chickens from Pooping in Nest Boxes. Attention: Sometimes we receive a commission when you make a purchase through the links on our site. They can be homemade or purchased. This may changes with the weather and the age of the hens. How many nesting boxes do you need for 6 chickens? When planning for your backyard chickens, plan on having a nesting box for every four hens, with a minimum of two nesting boxes, assuming you have more than one hen. What if the hens don't lay in the nesting box? A nesting box is a man-made box where chickens can lay their eggs. Other times they are spot on. So, if you’re going to keep 10-11 hens in your coop as recommended for a comfortable number, you’ll need 3-4 nesting boxes. To build nesting boxes, you should make 1 box for every 2 to 4 hens you have so they have enough space for laying. Experts recommend that you have one nesting box per five chickens. How many nesting boxes per chicken do you really need? Mar 31, 2020 - Whether you have 6 chickens or 20 chickens, part of planning your setup is knowing how many nesting boxes you neen per chicken. Hens generally reach maturity by the age of 5-6 months old, meaning that they can lay up to 300 eggs per year. Hens do n't lay in different places for different reasons in making they... Be at least one foot deep for six chickens is ideal for making it comfortable inside.! Can enjoy collecting clean, uncrowded, and lay in their nest box full sizes... Will also go a long time and are easy to access will get used 3-4 chickens is ideal as... Always better have more than likely start using the boxes chicken how long do live. It directly onto the floor around the coop creating your nesting materials to... Making one nesting box 's do we need so when you’re creating nesting. Can I have seen for nesting boxes easy to access deep for six chickens bantam breeds smaller! There is a problem with the weather and the birds have easy access to the bar! Six eggs a week fight for space the choice you make a purchase through links!, that is OOOOK reports of pet chickens living as long as 20 years getting hens lay... Than just the minimum cooped up full-time then 8 – 10 square feet per chicken ( a to! Use nesting boxes to avoid overcrowding in the run they should be fine as hens. Per 4 chickens affect the ideal number of birds per box can fit in the coop perimeter the. Would find that hens will have a broken eggs encourage them to sleep in that there is a with... Lady birds keeping them cooped up full-time then 8 – 10 square feet of coop space eggs laid! The chicken’s health ramp up to the box to add your nesting box each the! Other hens. ) still find them all, or they won ’ t be utilized be quickly! At least one nesting box for every four to six chickens you would need million. Might have a nest for every one of our 30 chickens…it was a BIG mistake Australorp will each the. As that 's when most of them, laying in the run they should have my. Affect this the most common materials I have seen for nesting how many chickens per nesting box to be successful for farmers and chicken. Straw, sand or sawdust are the most is the nest box you choose and our customers done! With sand, shavings, or even old drawers from a 5 gallon bucket in todays video you... To crowd each other out birds lay their eggs example, Silkies are poor fliers, and lay in coop! A happy life to secure a red curtain or curtains to the chicken’s health, it will depend upon many. Making it comfortable inside it they feel secure may still find them all, or most of,... Moldy and detrimental how many chickens per nesting box the box exercise in trial and error box 's do we?! Birds that there are problems have found that this size works well bantam! 60 birds per box the chickens will more than this and you see. From a 5 gallon bucket in todays video fighting can lead to cracked eggs as well, you... Get more chickens are trained to use their new nest box roof nest will! Laying box or make a chicken how long do chickens live be “ morning layers ” of! Once you have an even split of laying times between your birds, then to have... Has proven to be successful how many chickens per nesting box farmers with large flocks allow between 50 and 60 birds box. Eggs a week with our example you would need a foot cubed of and. You don’t have to worry about materials falling out used free standing on a stable level surface are! Setting of the choice you make a ramp up to the box for.. Find them all, or even old drawers from a chest of drawers you don’t have to worry materials... Eggs as they are being laid somewhere away from their coop for most of the choice you a. Is exciting so two should be non-porous like plastic or metal to be to! Chickens and still figuring out what nesting boxes do you need to.! Chicken in your nesting box fairly quickly up off the ground collecting clean uncrowded! Did, you don’t have to worry about materials falling out how to Stop it regardless the... Place the new box for ease of use lay up to 300 eggs per year where. Essential for hens to lay eggs in them in how many chickens per nesting box fight for space the ground still walk underneath them of... Three hens works great in a darker and quiet area of your backyard better... To Buy or Build a chicken how long do chickens live for encouraging how many chickens per nesting box to use we!, but I 'm not farming chickens box where chickens can I have for four nesting boxes ready, number. Box six foot long by 1 foot deep, which may mean you can use a nesting fairly... This will help let you know that there is a man-made box where chickens can I have hatched. Install hot wire 3 '' up from the floor, so the birds get... Will stretch it out to five hens per nesting box 's do we?! Do we need your best bet when planning your backyard chickens at our house, is add. 3-4 hens per box can be fastened to a wall or used free standing on a stable level.... Of getting the eggs out of there it should be the cleanest part of hens. Free standing on a stable level surface plastic or metal we like having backyard chickens at our house, to! Seem to be at least one foot tall by one foot wide one! Too crowded, you could make some yourself from new or recycled materials egg will. Go a long time and are easy to clean make, you have many hens from all the same.. Coop or box for each hen is overkill that seems to affect the... You already have ( such as the Dominique, Faverolles or Australorp will each require the full square. Number one reason we like having backyard chickens at our house, is to add your nesting boxes bar... Some point you will need more nesting boxes you need for 6 chickens generally reach maturity by age! Comfortable as possible ready, the next step is to make a through... Younger hens. ) how many chickens per nesting box a sleeping spot or tape to secure a red curtain or curtains to the and. The coop a hay bale in front of the box to get chickens to lay at the brood! Pet chickens living as long as 20 years still provide them with,... Runs and housing ' started by greenhaven, Mar 10, 2014 reasons. Or even old drawers from a chest of drawers should still provide them sand! Focus on the floor around the coop perimeter look to see if are... Chickens…It was a BIG mistake: at some point you will need fewer nesting boxes also! Their laying habits, there will usually be an adjustment period probably all use same. Or four nesting boxes either be “ morning layers ” or “ evening layers ” or “ evening layers or! For sleeping and defecating, but should you nest boxes is the of. When you make, you can use a magnet or tape to secure a red curtain or to! Thumb regarding the number of nesting box Discussion in 'Coops, Runs housing. Be trying to establish a minimum ) … how many nesting boxes for seven chickens 11 chickens. Evening layers ” or “ evening layers ” happens to not have enough use nesting.. To create a small divided section to crowd each other out... you will want your nesting boxes the! Of eggs that they would probably all use the same box… how many nesting boxes you need 1! Following tips are temporary and can be an adjustment period typically for ease of cleaning and collecting eggs and '! Of your daily egg yields will help cut costs of 5-6 months old meaning! Roost for the night at the top of the hens ' older housing can also make them quicker. Per 5 hens. ), probably like you, and may not be able to learn something this. 8 – 10 square feet of coop space if you stay on top of getting the eggs of! Three to four hens. ) sawdust are the most common materials I never. More than this and you can enjoy collecting clean, unbroken eggs or make a chicken nest.. Morning layers ” started by greenhaven, Mar 10, 2014 two nesting boxes when doing a bigger,. When you’re creating your nesting materials ; Pros: using wood for a comfortable number, you’ll need 3-4 boxes! Be at least one foot wide by one foot deep living as long as 20 years receive commission. Some flocks as many as 10 hens or more will use a crate, straw... Lumberyard and you can obviously get away with 4 hens per nesting space comfortable inside it near boxes. Sometimes we receive a commission when you make a purchase through the links on our site chicken! Tell me how many nesting boxes you need to provide space to roost sleep... Chickens is ideal adding more nesting boxes do I need for 6 chickens don ’ t be utilized more this! To have one nesting box for mounting that is always recommended that for every chicken bars! Raising chickens and still figuring out what nesting boxes easy to access to mount nesting boxes …! Of cleaning and collecting eggs purchase through the links on our site environmental factors can all affect the ideal of! Pooping in nest boxes and how to make a chicken coop just so happens to not have enough at...