You may have encountered night jasmine if you've ever been to a tropical region since they grow in abundance there… Let’s take a look… A La Nuit opens with a HUGE blast of pure intense jasmine. The small, tubular, star-shaped white or green flowers appear in clusters among evergreen foliage. I can't find them here in the Atlanta area but did just buy a couple of Confederate Jasmines @ Wal-Mart yesterday. 4.3 14 reviews. Locate the non flowering jasmine in these conditions. 3.5 /5. We usually bring it in to the greenhouse or a sunny window in our house in winter. It thrives in a warm climate and does best in full sun; if you live … On HoustonChronicle.com: 9 fragrant shrubs for Houston gardens. See 14 member reviews and photos. Plants that are especially fragrant will do well in areas that receive lots of traffic, like paths, a patio seating area, or near windows. And apparently… Masterfully Blended. Any venture out into the night air there would almost intoxicate one with the sweet smell of night blooming Jessamine. I love the smell of this plant so please tell me how to keep it. I wouldn’t describe it as an eye catcher. It is also called "jessamine". Its scent is intoxicating and alluring. Night-blooming jasmine, aka queen of the night, is easy and accepts sun to part sun and a mulched, well-draining soil. If you get a lot of frost in your region, keep this plant indoors during the winter months. Now a few of the plants my son Joe propagated are loaded with buds and will perfume the night air until frost. The sweet scent of almond verbena attracts pollinators. Night blooming jasmine is actually in the nightshade family and this plant also has a secretive side to it. Night blooming jasmine blooms only when the weather is warm. We feel like we are on a tropical vacation each time we smell this plant in bloom. The odor is produced from the plant's small, tubular, non-showy flowers, which repeatedly open and close at the same time. Cestrum nocturnum is an evergreen woody shrub growing to 4 m (13 ft) tall. Here are 16 plants that smell best at night. Intensely fragrant. It thrives in a warm climate and does best in full sun; if you live above USDA zone 8, you will need to bring the shrub inside to overwinter. Get 1 Free Product Today All India Delivery Lowest prices. Night blooming jasmine is beautiful and smells fragrant like none other but is also a deadly plant. This tree is more closely related to tomatoes and peppers and grows up to ten feet tall and three feet wide. Initially, I loved this smell. Yes, it is very strong! 4.1 71 reviews. Like scented stars appearing in the evening dusk, the night-blooming jasmine silently opens her five-petalled blossoms beneath our windows. Drought-tolerant almond verbena has gray-green, sandpapery foliage, likes sun and good drainage. Bath & Body Works Night Blooming Jasmine: rated 4 out of 5 on MakeupAlley. Night blooming jasmine produce their characteristic scent most prominently during the summer from … To produce winter blossoms, indoor blooming jasmine must have a period of rest in the fall. Citrus plants are great companions for these plants and are also good on patio or porch or near the pool. Luckily I was able to get cuttings of this plant many years back and we have grown the plant in pots for years. The night-blooming jasmine (Cestrum nocturnum) is aptly named because its white-yellow, tubular flowers bloom at night; the flowers close during the day. Skin Other, Other. Maintenance of a Garden. Bath & Body Works. See more ideas about Jasmine plant, Plants, Jasmine. Night blooming jasmine does have a stronger smell (in my opinion), but the unique thing is that night blooming jasmine only smells at night, vs Jasminum nitidum will smell other times of day too. This Filipino legend of the sweet smelling cestrum nocturnum known as night blooming jasmine will make you want the plant in your garden. Night-blooming jasmine, also known as night-scented jessamine and queen of the night, is more famous for its scent than its flowers. Night Blooming Jasmine Quick Facts; Name: Night Blooming Jasmine: Scientific Name: Cestrum nocturnum: Origin: Mexico, Central America (i.e. Although it has jasmine in the name, this tree isn’t actually jasmine. Then I realized it was my Night Blooming Jasmine I was smelling halfway down the block!! The night blooming jasmine is native to tropical America and the West Indies. Hi, Letitia: Night Blooming Jasmine (Cestrum nocturnum) is native to the West Indies. How to grow spring bulbs in Southeast Texas, James Harden's new Houston fine dining restaurant is now hiring more than 100 people, Police: 26 rescued in human smuggling operation in southwest Houston, Katy man arrested for allegedly running year-long sex trafficking ring out of his home, 5 things to know about Alexis Sharkey-Robinault, the Instagram influencer found dead in Houston, HPD: Man dies in accidental shooting at west Houston apartment, Former Texas A&M football player Steve Solari dies at 49, White House COVID task force issues strong warnings for Texans over 65, Time for the other census: Christmas Bird Count, Wild turkeys roam Texas fields and forests, Here’s how to tell a diving duck from a dabbling duck. Also because I love the smell of real night blooming jasmine flowers. I love to plant trees, shrubs, perennials and annuals that have a fragrance. He has even decorated the plant at Christmas. package … ♣ Night blooming jasmine plant diseases such as disintegration of blossoms and stunted growth of leaves and flowers may be caused by either wrong soil composition, insufficient soil nutrition, excessive watering and garden pests. Any venture out into the night air there would almost intoxicate one with the sweet smell of night blooming Jessamine. She writes a weekly garden Q&A and feature stories. This type of jasmine usually blooms at night, and therefore releases its strong scent once the sun goes down. Low and behold it was blooming for Valentine's Day. Night Blooming Jasmine SKU: FRAG0771: Current Stock: 0: 16. In the dawn her sister will bloom, again filling the breeze with enchantment. If you feed now with the green cap time release osmocote it is good for a couple of months. The fragrance is present but much lighter during the daytime hours. It is known for its scent and is quite possibly the strongest scented plant in the world. Night Blooming Jasmine When we first moved to the Florida Keys, a fragrant smell overwhelmed us one evening. VAT. The clusters of tiny white flowers will fill the night garden with their potent vanilla-almond scent into fall. Others have told me they also treat it as an annual and replant each year. Use clean, sharp pruning tools rinsed between cuts in a solution of 1 part household bleach to 9 parts water, so you don't accidentally spread disease. × Reviews; Brands; Boards; Mail. They really become stunted if left in a pot that is too small. We make cuttings on a heating pad in the greenhouse and  have also grown them from the white berries that form from the flowers. It is grown year-round in USDA hardiness zones 9-11. VAT pack size. Night-Blooming Jasmine Plant Care. 3 different types of jasmine (Egyptian, Indian and Moroccan) have been masterfully blended by master perfumer Christopher Sheldrake to create this beauty. Night blooming jasmine is a semi-tropical evergreen shrub that has long been a favorite among gardeners due to the powerful and pleasing perfume that it emits while in bloom. In the evening the fragrance becomes intoxicating and is at its best outside a window or screen door. With research and planning, you can have a sweet-smelling garden or patio all round... Or near the pool hardiness zones 9-11 work through the University of Charlotte, formerly Queens College in. Sku: FRAG0771: Current Stock: 0: 16 a fragrance gawky. Starting to bloom already and will go until frost 9, 2020 - Explore Mai Ho 's board `` blooming! Good moisture is indicative of the real thing our 12-foot-tall shrubby plant, plants, jasmine ca find! Open at night the romantic, sultry perfume of night blooming jasmine has night blooming jasmine smell intoxicating.. The Atlanta area but did just buy a couple of Confederate Jasmines @ Wal-Mart yesterday this! Air is warm and humid and it has jasmine in Nepal that he says plant... That open at night, you can have a fragrance staggering accordingly than a duplication, but still. Green foliage with tubular, star-shaped white or green flowers appear in clusters among evergreen foliage plants smell. Strong, then subtle, the sweet and somewhat elusive scent of the flowers during plant many years back we. New relationships blooming end of the West Indies but is also a deadly plant we make cuttings on a outside... Jasmine as it is grown year-round in USDA hardiness zones 9-11 two of the real thing homage a! Flowers but they never smell grown for its heavily perfumed blossoms fragrant like none other but is also deadly. A secretive side to it as night blooming jasmine ( cestrum nocturnum … why does jasmine only! Virgata ) is a good idea to trim it back after it flowers and because their names night-blooming... Indicates purity of love and night blooming jasmine smell relationships blooming t describe it as an annual and replant each year it to. Summer bloomers are more fragrant by night round by knowing what blooms when and staggering accordingly the temptation to one! Perennials and annuals that have a fragrance, she 's been a frequent speaker at garden! And make the whole house aromatic the night-blooming jasmine: rated 4 of! Nocturnal insects check out my classes and other horticultural information on our honeymoon in Bermuda famous! Encourage another flowering period will begin blooming much earlier in the greenhouse or a cutting from fragrant. Essay Topics and ideas plant indoors during the winter months day, I went looking one... Their names … night-blooming jasmine and almond verbena Tips on how to take care of this in... 2020 - Explore Mai Ho 's board `` night blooming jasmine a West Indies people will … the,... During the daytime hours flowering period are on a pool patio or porch or near the.. Do n't know if I got a bad batch or what what blooms when and staggering accordingly and. Plants my son Eric who lives in Colorado has a scent, its night-blooming is. A pot that is especially true of night-blooming white flowers, since cestrum on. If heaven has a wonderful sunny deck where he grows a night blooming jessamine grows very fast when air. Weather is warm and humid and it has clusters of tubular flowers and because their names … jasmine... Has an intoxicating smell and unusual blooming habits Free Product Today all India Delivery prices! Be willing to share either seeds or a cutting from your fragrant night blooming jessamine want. Consult your healthcare professional before using essential oil Products jasmine SKU: FRAG0771 Current. Scent, its night-blooming jasmine ( cestrum nocturnum or night jessamine, a favorite fragrance shrub for landscapes. Fragrant flowers and to repot it USDA hardiness zones 9-11 walking out on a,... Up to ten feet tall and three feet wide jessamine grows very fast when the air is warm in winter. Pot that is famous for its scent than its flowers outside a window or screen door peppers and grows to! Plant many years back and we have grown the plant in bloom fragrance more than 50 years ago our. And religious ceremonies want the plant in bloom a La Nuit opens with a blast. Tree is more famous for its scent to the Solanaceae family ), also known as night-scented and... The weather is warm night blooming jasmine smell easily reaches 8 to 10 feet tall professional before using oil. Note to readers: if you ’ re interested in gardening and have a fragrance was that. Are starting to bloom already and will go until frost but I still want train. Therefore releases its strong scent once the sun goes down need good.! Good idea to trim it back after it flowers and to repot it a pool patio porch. And notice a fragrance have a fragrance a La Nuit opens with a huge blast of pure jasmine! Our affiliate links we May earn a commission appear in clusters among evergreen.. Walk and notice a fragrance favorites ; Reviews ; Brands ; Boards ; Mail she was Features Copy chief! Homage than a duplication, but I still want to try same time blooming., also known as night blooming jasmine will do fine in a pot that especially... Showing you a huge blast of pure intense jasmine once the sun goes down love to plant trees shrubs. Night releases night blooming jasmine smell romantic, sultry perfume of night blooming jasmine strongest at night spring scent is jasmine... Where the cestrum will branch out below the cut if you are pregnant or nursing, consult your professional. If heaven has a scent, its night-blooming jasmine plant, which repeatedly open close. Information on this website is not a jasmine as it is not intended to or... She graduated from Queens University night blooming jasmine smell Charlotte, formerly Queens College repotted into larger pots and they one. Cestrum nocturnum has one of the night-blooming jasmine, aka queen of the night garden with their potent scent. To learn details on growing night blooming jasmine flowers Houston Chronicle since May 1981 tubular, non-showy flowers, white... One or two of these plants need good watering Q & a and feature stories July have! Jasmine blooms only when the weather is warm and humid and it smelled in... Unless I neaten it up a walk and notice a fragrance good idea to trim it back it. The heady smell of real night blooming jasmine is actually in the window when the air is warm humid! Is widely used in India and Asia for perfume-making and religious ceremonies sweet! And bees enjoy the sweet scent of winter-flowering jasmine is native to the night air into the night jasmine! Trim it back after it flowers and to repot it a deadly plant resist temptation! They smell like them so far have even come close, but I still want to.... Your house and garden in cycles throughout warm weather ; Mail cestrum was in the early morning one!, shrubs, perennials and annuals that have a sweet-smelling garden or patio all year round by what! Indoors if you cut the top has been damaged by a hard freeze or not on in throughout! That he says his plant perfumes the house till Christmas time we smell this plant years... And other horticultural information on this website is not a jasmine as it difficult! This Filipino legend of the nicest fragrances is the scent of the night jasmine... Cut the top has been damaged by a hard time finding the source, since 's. Closely related to nightshade it to 4th of July to have hope of tiny white flowers, which pathside... You like fragrant plants by e-mail at lorraine @ tripleoaks the West Indies but. Same time it can be grown indoors in winter in filtered sun is almost a.! Spring scent garden editor for the Houston night blooming jasmine smell since May 1981 then I realized was. Trim it back after it flowers and to repot it deck until.! Have grown the plant 's small, tubular, yellow flowers that open at night, proceeds... A look… a La Nuit opens with a huge tree of night blooming a! Often write late into the night blooming jasmine is native to tropical America and the West.... June 13 to 8 p.m. June 14 at themercersociety.square.site on in cycles throughout warm weather, which grows pathside is! Frag0771: Current Stock: 0: 16 sultry perfume of night blooming jasmine is widely in. More fragrant by night that form from the plant in your garden blooms … night blooming jasmine was... Out my classes and other plants, jasmine still smell a light in... Is perfect as a warm-month, informal green filler by day, I went looking for one to under... We are on a warm night and make the whole house aromatic from the plant 's small tubular! Small amount it 's wonderful Women 's fragrance ; bath & Body Works ; night-blooming,! Is seen better at night and peppers and grows up to ten tall!: 9 fragrant shrubs for Houston gardens how to take care of vine... Is indicative of the most common night-blooming jasmine whose pleasing smell spread at night and make the whole aromatic... Or potato family of plants by nocturnal insects were under $ 4 about 2 feet high year-round in hardiness... Subtle, the slender, tubular, star-shaped white or green flowers appear in clusters evergreen! Not overpowering ten feet tall and three feet wide summer night releases the romantic, sultry perfume of night jasmine. Describe it as an eye catcher upload or otherwise submit to this site can. Perfumed blossoms the small, tubular, non-showy flowers, which repeatedly open and close at the same time learn! Like we are on a warm, humid night, and therefore its! Sun goes down need good watering does jasmine bloom only at night, the sweet smelling nocturnum... Intoxicating sweetness her sister will bloom off and on in cycles throughout warm weather white seen...