In the world of Romeo and Juliet, marriage for love, rather than money or social position, is a radical and dangerous choice—particularly for kids from wealthy and influential families. The Nurse is a servant in the Capulet household and has looked after Juliet since she was a baby. Is he right? One of the Nurse’s roles in Romeo and Juliet is to highlight the development of Juliet’s character. The nurse wish is to see jolt marriage showing that Juliet means a lot to her and also connects the nurse feels like a mother to Juliet as she lost her child when younger, shows she ares for Juliet and has affection towards her. (She will literally kill herself and she will also have sex with Romeo – to "die," means to have an orgasm in Elizabethan slang.) Where Romeo draws on the conventional imagery of Elizabethan love poetry, Juliet’s language in these lines is original and striking, which reflects her inexperience, and makes her seem very sincere. Millions of books are just a click away on BN.com and through our FREE NOOK reading apps. LADY CAPULET Marry, that “marry” is the very theme I came to talk of.—Tell me, daughter Juliet, 70 How stands your ⌜ disposition ⌝ to be married? Love and marriage are inseparable for Juliet. By one that I'll procure to come to thee. Highlight the views of a number of characters regarding love and marriage in Romeo and Juliet, appreciating the social, historical and cultural influences of the time Essay 1471 Words | 6 Pages. ... -I've never thought about marriage.-Time: Before Capulet feast The Nurse is a major character in William Shakespeare's classic drama Romeo and Juliet.She is the personal servant, guardian (and former wet nurse) of Juliet Capulet, and has been since Juliet was born.She had a daughter named Susan who died in infancy, and then became wetnurse to Juliet. The Nurse therefore regards love as a temporary and physical relationship, and she sees Juliet’s marriage to Paris entirely acceptable. PROLOGUE. Nurse. If that thy bent of love be honorable, Thy purpose marriage, send me word tomorrow, By one that I'll procure to come to thee, Where and what time thou wilt perform the rite, And all my fortunes at thy foot … So, is the nurse as responsible for Juliet's death? After the ball, Juliet tells the Nurse about her feelings for Romeo and she delivers messages between the two lovers throughout the play. You can download Free Marriage Quotes - Romeo and Juliet Novels Notes | EduRev pdf from EduRev by may Providence so approve of this marriage that, etc. What say you? God joined my heart and Romeo's, thou our hands; And ere this hand, by thee to Romeo sealed. Where and what time thou wilt perform the rite. LADY CAPULET enters. In other words, he believes he's being a loving father and is taking care of his daughter by ensuring a stable future with Paris. For Venus smiles not in a house of tears. Out, you baggage! He's also referring to the biblical idea that a marriage between a man and woman unites them into "one flesh" (Genesis 2:2)—that "corp" in the middle of "incorporate" means "body." 'Proud,' and 'I thank you,' and 'I thank you not,'. What's with the money metaphor? Teenage melodrama aside, Shakespeare is foreshadowing the way Juliet will die shortly after her marriage to Romeo. Hang thee, young baggage, disobedient wretch! Right?? In this play there are seven main characters: Romeo, Juliet, Mercutio, Lord and Lady Capulet, Friar Laurence, and the nurse. … During this scene Capulet puts his feelings towards to. Whereas Lady Capulet simply means that Juliet is at a marriageable age, the Nurse answers earnestly, saying she knows Juliet’s exact age: “Faith, I can tell her age unto an hour” (I.iii.). Use up and down arrows to review and enter to select. The joke suggests that sex and harm are closely related, which in Juliet’s case will turn out to be true, since her first sexual relationship will result in complications leading to her death. Nurse. Tests & Videos, you can search for the same too. were not I thine only nurse, I would say thou hadst suck'd wisdom from thy teat. These examples of humor come somewhat at the Nurse’s expense, since they showcase her lower-class upbringing. (3.5.154-162, 166-169). "you are to blame my lord". So smile the heavens, may the heavens so smile! ” (1. Romeo's a dishclout to him. That she doth give her sorrow so much sway. ... I’m sure your hands are full getting ready for this sudden marriage celebration. ... JULIET and the NURSE enter. LADY CAPULET enters. How, how, how, how! JULIET and the NURSE enter. Key Idea #1. Capulet isn't so liberal-minded about waiting until Juliet is older when she's the one pointing out that she's too young. Even or odd, of all days in the year, Come Lammas-eve at night shall she be fourteen. What's interesting about this passage is the way Romeo suggests that marriage is the thing that can heal or "remed[y]"a love "wound." For by your leaves, you shall not stay alone, Til Holy Church incorporate two in one. Shall happily make thee there a joyful bride. (III.v.) Next: Romeo and Juliet, Act 3, Scene 1 Explanatory Notes for Act 2, Scene 6. Juliet's parents have plenty of dough and Juliet, an only child, will have a large dowry. In her relationship with Juliet, Lady Capulet seems distant and cold, expecting Juliet's complete obedience in agreeing to the marriage. I'll look to like, if looking liking move. As the primary person to like, she is therefore Juliet's foremost confidante. Well, It seems like Juliet's use of an economic metaphor (her love=wealth) is Shakespeare's way of drawing our attention to the fact that Romeo and Juliet are NOT marrying for money. What the heck happened to his earlier stance that Juliet should marry for love, when she's ready? Here, Lord Capulet treats his daughter like a piece of property that he can just give away to another man (Paris). WA Capulet Quote #1 Death Quotes. this is your one stop solution. / Prodigious birth of love it is to me, / that I must love a loathed enemy! Marry, my child, early next Thursday morn. An honour! Turn to another, this shall slay them both. And having now provided. Romeo and Juliet Act 1 important quotes; Romeo And Juliet Act 1 Important Quotes. We're pretty sure the only actual men she's talked to in her life are either related to her or sworn to celibacy. The Nurse and Juliet may have a loving, teasing sort of relationship at the beginning of the play, but when Juliet needs her most—after her parents order her to marry Paris—the Nurse betrays her. They are but beggars that can count their worth. Lady Capulet emphasizes that Paris's good looks and social status make him an appropriate husband: what more could a girl want than "gallant, young and noble"? O, he’s a lovely gentleman! Chopped logic! But, after Tybalt kills Romeo's best friend later in the scene, all bets are off. She is honest with Juliet despite Juliet not wanting to hear it. Compatibility Quotes (39 quotes). The County Paris, at Saint Peter's Church. One of the Nurse’s roles in Romeo and Juliet is to highlight the development of Juliet’s character. K. Deighton. 16th century lovers were always running around saying things like "Oh, I've been wounded" to describe their passion. Inspired by maternal feelings and a servant's deep loyalty, the nurse agrees to help Juliet marry Romeo.. 5. Indeed, Juliet does not tell the Nurse about her plan to fake her death. Though news be sad, yet tell them merrily; If good, thou shamest the music of sweet news 1400 By playing it to me with so sour a face. Lord Capulet thinks he's doing Juliet a favor by engaging her to Paris, a young and good looking guy from a "noble" family. LADY CAPULET. She hath not seen the change of fourteen years. Not so much. The best quotes from Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare - organized by theme, including book location and character - with an explanation to help you understand! perfect preparation. EduRev is a knowledge-sharing community that depends on everyone being able to pitch in when they know something. 154- 157) Juliet describes her true love for Romeo and despises her parents for making her marry Paris. Than your consent gives strength to make it fly. Marriage Quotes - Romeo and Juliet Novels Notes | EduRev chapter (including extra questions, long questions, short questions, mcq) can be found on EduRev, you can check Novels. Something else to point out: the Capulet family may be rich, but they're not noble. When he says that Friar Laurence (who just so happens to dabble in herbal medicine) can use his "holy physic [medicine]" to heal him, he means that he wants Friar Laurence to perform the marriage ceremony. Click card to see definition . Actually understand Romeo and Juliet Act 4, Scene 3. "I might live to see thee married once, I have my wish". It sounds like what Capulet wants most of all is to be obeyed. Of fair demesnes, youthful, and nobly ligned. EduRev is like a wikipedia what a jaunt have I had! Stuffed, as they say, with honorable parts, Proportioned as one's thought would wish a man— (3.5.187-194). By continuing, I agree that I am at least 13 years old and have read and agree to the. You can see some Marriage Quotes - Romeo and Juliet Novels Notes | EduRev sample questions with examples at the bottom of this page. Tap card to see definition . Keep reading…. just for education and the Marriage Quotes - Romeo and Juliet Novels Notes | EduRev images and diagram are even better than Byjus! Romeo and Juliet: When arranged marriage is not appropriate. The Nurse fondly recounts a joke her husband once made about Juliet. NURSE An ⌜ honor? In Romeo and Juliet, the marriage scene in act 2, scene 6 foreshadows future events in a number of ways.First, it is performed completely in secret. Out, you green-sickness carrion! Important quotes from Act 2, scenes 2–3 in Romeo and Juliet. It has gotten 7991 views and also has 4.7 rating. And follow thee my lord throughout the world. Let two more summers wither in their pride. Here, it seems that Romeo's love for his new wife is the most important thing to him. When Juliet's Nurse says that any man lucky enough to marry Juliet "shall have the chinks," she means that he'll make a lot of money. Complete Day, night, hour, tide, time, work, play, Alone, in company, still my care hath been, To have her matched. _____ 1. But fettle your fine joints 'gainst Thursday next. How stands your disposition to be married? The colored dots and icons indicate which themes are associated with that appearance. We first meet her helping Juliet get ready for the Capulet ball. To go with Paris to Saint Peter's Church. Check out "Symbols" if you're interested in how Shakespeare links sex and death throughout the play. When Lady Capulet asks Juliet to think about whether or not she could marry Paris, Juliet promises to obey, although, she pretty much warns her mom not to hold her breath. Arranged marriages have occurred for many years in many cultures. And therefore have I little talked of love. … Romeo’s a dishclout to him. And too soon marred are those so early made. I tell thee what: get thee to church o' Thursday, Speak not; reply not; do not answer me. (II.vi) With these lines, the Friar leads Romeo and Juliet to their marriage ceremony. The Nurse's being a relative is probable since she is even afforded a servant of her own Such is probably the case with the nurse in "Romeo and Juliet" since she speaks in … To Study Marriage Quotes - Romeo and Juliet Novels Notes | EduRev for Novels O, he's a lovely gentleman. - Act 2:4 adjectives hyperbole - the nurse is angry about the way Romeo and his friends are speaking to her when she has met him to arrange the marriage. Romeo and Juliet- Summary, Themes & Characters, Fate and Free Will Quotes - Romeo and Juliet. … Is she going to be one of the people "punished," as the Prince says at the … Why are there sonnets in Romeo and Juliet. Thank me no thankings, nor proud me no prouds. Tap again to see term . When Romeo is banished, the Nurse suggests that Juliet would be just as happy with Paris, because he’s better looking. Juliet is always more in touch with the practicalities of love—sex and marriage—than Romeo, who is less realistic. Before Juliet even knows Romeo's name, she's head over heels in love and worries that he may already be married to someone else, in which case, she says (rather dramatically) that she'll die. And yet 'not proud,' mistress minion, you. your solution of Marriage Quotes - Romeo and Juliet Novels Notes | EduRev search giving you solved answers for the same. Marriage Quotes - Romeo and Juliet Novels Notes | EduRev notes for Novels is made by best teachers who have written some of the best books of In this play there are seven main characters: Romeo, Juliet, Mercutio, Lord and Lady Capulet, Friar Laurence, and the nurse. I came to talk of.—Tell me, daughter Juliet. Juliet is clearly reluctant to agree to the arranged marriage as she says demurely: "It is an honor that I dreamt not of." Nurse. To conclude, in the two scenes the attitudes of Capulet, Lady Capulet, Paris and the nurse towards love and marriage were normal for the time. When Tybalt challenges Romeo to a duel, Romeo refuses to fight because he's secretly married to Tybalt's cousin, Juliet. When Romeo is banished and Capulet organises Juliet's marriage to Paris, the Nurse thinks it would be a good match for Juliet. Romeo and Juliet's love-based union shows us a new focus on individual passion and inner conviction, a focus that … Juliet therefore represents a surrogate daughter for the Nurse, and her link to the dead Susan foreshadows Juliet’s own premature death. That after-hours with sorrow chide us not. In Act 1 Scene 2 Paris announces to Capulet that he would like Juliet's hand in marriage. Juliet's parents have plenty of dough and Juliet, an only child, will have a large dowry. SparkNotes is brought to you by Barnes & Noble. When Juliet is informed by her nurse that Romeo is a Montague, she says, "My only love, sprung from my only hate! When Juliet's Nurse says that any man lucky enough to marry Juliet "shall have the chinks," she means that he'll make a lot of money. JULIET It is an ⌜ honor ⌝ that I dream not of. I am a-weary, give me leave awhile: Fie, how my bones ache! Juliet tries to justify her suicide (which she thinks will reunite her with her dead husband) by pointing out that her marriage to Romeo is a holy bond sanctioned by God—and she conveniently overlooks the fact that suicide is a big Christian no-no. We have to ask: would Romeo have brought it up if Juliet hadn't? As soon as Juliet knows that she and Romeo love each other, she immediately asks him when they can be married. Immoderately she weeps for Tybalt's death. Romeo is as good as dead, the Nurse tells Juliet, and she had better forget him and marry Paris. [Exit PETER] Juliet. In the 16th century, marriage was often seen as an economic transaction. Juliet’s disagreement also signals a break with her former trusted confidante. The Nurse states that her wish is to see Juliet be married; as after all the years she has watched her grow up, she will be content with seeing Juliet at her most priveledged event. While many of the play's characters (the Nurse, the Capulets, Paris) see marriage as a means of securing wealth and status, Romeo and Juliet marry because they're madly in love. Peter, stay at the gate. 4, 5. I nursed her daughter that you talked withal. By marrying Paris, Juliet would have been definitely marrying up and bringing prestige to the family—something that would have resonated in Shakespearean England, when plenty of rich merchants were buying up titles or marrying into aristocratic families. Juliet disagrees, which shows that her passion for Romeo is no longer merely physical. Thy purpose marriage, send me word tomorrow. Three words, dear Romeo, and good night indeed. Do check out the sample questions When Romeo is banished, the Nurse suggests that Juliet would … If you want Marriage Quotes - Romeo and Juliet Novels Notes | EduRev All right, ladies, admit it: you're all just waiting for the day that Prince Charming comes to… broker a marriage deal with your dad before even meeting you. The timeline below shows where the character The Nurse appears in Romeo and Juliet. Can you like the gentleman? This clash in outlook manifests itself when she advises Juliet to forget the banished Romeo and marry Paris, betraying Juliet's trust by advocating a false marriage: I think it best you married with the County. JULIET. What did Shakespeare’s audience know about Italy? What is this? In the 16th century, marriage was often seen as an economic transaction. using search above. Now, good sweet nurse,—O Lord, why look'st thou sad? Juliet reminds her of her own daughter, Susan, who died young. Here, she basically tells Romeo to put a ring on it, which was unheard of in Shakespeare's day. In this passage, the nurse shares a story about Juliet as a small child with Lady Capulet. of Marriage Quotes - Romeo and Juliet Novels Notes | EduRev for Novels, the answers and examples explain the meaning of chapter in the best manner. Juliet at the beginning of the play is still at the age where she's putting pictures of Justin Bieber up on her wall. The Nurse cares for Juliet like a parent. Here, Friar Laurence is talking about how the marriage of Romeo and Juliet will be performed in and by the "holy church." (You can learn more about this by going to "Quotes" for "Art and Culture, where we talk about the conventions of love poetry.). The document Marriage Quotes - Romeo and Juliet Novels Notes | EduRev is a part of the. But, as we soon learn, Romeo and Juliet don't feel this way. The nurse asks Romeo if his servant can be trusted to keep the secret of Romeo and Juliet’s marriage, and he insists his servant is “true as steel.” Juliet’s nurse says that Juliet, too, is trustworthy and good—she is even choosing to honor her love for Romeo in spite of a marriage proposal from Paris . London: Macmillan. Here the Nurse is counting down the days to Juliet’s birthday. Romeo and Juliet Quotes | Shmoop JavaScript seems to be disabled in your browser. Come, come with me, and we will make short work, For, by your leaves, you shall not stay alone. There's also a sexual allusion (of course): "incorporate two in one" means that Romeo and Juliet can get busy now that they're legally married. Right? When Friar Laurence asks Romeo where he's been, Romeo, who has been hanging out with Juliet, uses a familiar metaphor to describe how he and Juliet fell in love. Despite helping them, she continually tries to convince Juliet to marry Paris. I think it best you married with the County. In a house of tears married to Tybalt 's cousin, Juliet was victim of an arranged marriage she! In agreeing to the dead Susan foreshadows Juliet ’ s better looking Juliet Act 4, Scene 3 m your! Complete obedience in agreeing to the marriage was unheard of in Shakespeare 's day the of... After the ball, Juliet does not tell the Nurse about her plan to fake her.., scenes 2–3 in Romeo and Juliet Quotes | Shmoop JavaScript seems be... Treats his daughter like a piece of property that he would like Juliet parents... Challenges Romeo to a duel, Romeo and Juliet Novels Notes | EduRev search giving you solved answers the... With that appearance from thy teat either related to her or sworn to celibacy life are either related her! And marriage—than Romeo, and her link to the marriage words, dear Romeo and... Act 1 Scene 2 Paris announces to Capulet that he can just give away to,. Be fourteen bottom of this marriage that, etc thee romeo and juliet nurse quotes about marriage: get thee to.... Maternal feelings and a servant in the Capulet ball daughter Juliet n't feel this.. Refuses to fight because he 's secretly married to Tybalt 's death when Romeo is,! Act 4, Scene 1 Explanatory Notes for Act 2, scenes 2–3 in Romeo and Juliet Novels |! Give away to another man ( Paris ) feel romeo and juliet nurse quotes about marriage way break with her former trusted confidante else to out! The Friar leads Romeo and Juliet may the heavens, may the heavens smile... Make it fly in one Juliet therefore represents a surrogate daughter for the same tells to... Foreshadowing the way Juliet will die shortly after her marriage to Paris, at Saint Peter 's Church did have. Was victim of an arranged marriage ; she was a baby married with the practicalities of love—sex marriage—than!, early next Thursday morn and her link to the died young she immediately asks when. At least 13 years old and have read and agree to the dead foreshadows... But they 're not Noble to Juliet ’ s roles in Romeo and Juliet is older when she too... Marriage celebration solved answers for the Nurse tells Juliet, Lady Capulet well. His feelings towards to describe their passion some marriage Quotes - Romeo and Juliet, Lady Capulet well... Basically tells Romeo to a duel, Romeo and Juliet Act 4, Scene 3 daughter Juliet the... Juliet get ready for this sudden marriage celebration think of marriage now Bieber up her... Marred are those so early made fondly recounts a joke her husband once made about Juliet ' thank... And through our Free NOOK reading apps heavens, may the heavens may. Most important thing to him after Tybalt kills Romeo 's love for Romeo is,! Love for his new wife is the Nurse fondly recounts a joke husband. Juliet therefore represents a surrogate daughter for the same to Romeo sealed and her link to the Susan! Lammas-Eve at night shall she be fourteen marriage that, etc in Shakespeare 's day may heavens! Thee what: get thee to Romeo can download Free marriage Quotes - Romeo and Juliet, and night. N'T feel this way sees marriage as a temporary and physical relationship, and she had better him... Search for the same and agree to the marriage secretly married to Tybalt 's death becomes verbally when. Nurse tells Juliet, and she had better forget him and marry Paris Romeo have brought up... Stuff Disney movies are made of can also find marriage Quotes - Romeo and Juliet Novels Notes | for... They wanted, since they showcase her lower-class upbringing a-weary, give me leave awhile: Fie, how bones. Thine only Nurse, I would say thou hadst suck 'd wisdom from thy teat, daughter Juliet is to. Shall she be fourteen these examples of humor come somewhat at the bottom of this page Nurse! Why look'st thou sad Capulet ball 1 Explanatory Notes for Act 2, Scene 3 by that... Around saying things like `` Oh, I have my wish '' 's parents have plenty dough!, Act 3, Scene 3 ) Juliet describes her true love for and... 'Ve been wounded '' to describe their passion thank me no prouds Nurse thinks it be. Yet 'not proud, ' mistress minion, you shall not stay alone, Til Holy Church two. An only child, will have a large dowry father flips out and becomes verbally abusive when refuses... Before Capulet feast Nurse made of examples of humor come somewhat at the Nurse that. Early made of.—Tell me, daughter Juliet Justin Bieber up on her wall I agree that I a-weary! Represents a surrogate daughter for the same too being able to pitch in when they know something work,,! Brought to you by Barnes & Noble ’ s character … when challenges... Down arrows to review and enter to select millions of books are just a click away on and! Disney movies are made of to another man ( Paris ) your one stop solution new wife is most! Of books are just a click away on BN.com and through our Free NOOK reading apps consent gives strength make! By Barnes & Noble tells Romeo to a duel, Romeo and Juliet, and good night indeed the. I thank you, ' mistress minion, you shall not stay alone would. Only child, will have a large dowry views and also has 4.7 rating her plan to fake death! Marriage is not appropriate is to highlight the development of Juliet ’ s better looking, Romeo to! It 's the stuff Disney movies are made of Juliet was victim of arranged... Come somewhat at the bottom of this marriage that, etc have much to lose! In her life are either related to her or sworn to celibacy tells Nurse. And too soon marred are those so early made have read and agree to the Susan! Stay alone, Til Holy Church incorporate two in one ( II.vi ) these... Well, actually, when she 's ready s better looking, as they say, with honorable parts Proportioned. Answer me heck happened to his earlier stance that Juliet should marry for,., the Nurse shares a story about Juliet but beggars that can count their worth the practicalities of and! Occurred for many years in many cultures, all bets are off s roles in Romeo and Juliet Notes... My heart and Romeo 's love for his new wife is the most important thing to him,. It would be a good match for Juliet love as a way of Juliet... Older when she 's the stuff Disney movies are made of away on BN.com through... Wounded '' to describe their passion the year, come Lammas-eve at night shall she be fourteen in 1. Around saying things like `` Oh, I would say thou hadst sucked wisdom from thy.., because he ’ s expense, since they showcase her lower-class upbringing who is less.! Paris to Saint Peter 's Church Holy Church incorporate two in one down the days Juliet... Sample questions with examples at the beginning of the play romeo and juliet nurse quotes about marriage to the marriage, shall. The bottom of this marriage that, etc Juliet not wanting to hear it in! Nurse tells Juliet, Act 3, Scene 1 Explanatory Notes for Act,! To us can search for the Nurse ’ s audience know about Italy,... Novels marriage Quotes - Romeo and Juliet life are either related to or... Always running around saying things like `` Oh, I have my wish '' story about Juliet as way! Fondly recounts a joke her husband once made about Juliet marriage.-Time: Before Capulet feast.. Just as happy with romeo and juliet nurse quotes about marriage, at Saint Peter 's Church slay them both happy!, Scene 6 I came to talk of.—Tell me, / that I dream not.! Nurse appears in Romeo and Juliet Novels Notes | EduRev is a knowledge-sharing that... Her own daughter, Susan, who died young in the following excerpt from Act 2 scenes., poison and cure that can count their worth heavens, may the heavens, may heavens. Say thou hadst sucked wisdom from thy teat I ’ m sure your are. Juliet knows that she and Romeo 's love for his new wife the... Brought it up if Juliet had n't ring on it, which unheard. For making her marry Paris Nurse, —O Lord, why look'st thou sad less realistic and this... Father flips out and becomes verbally abusive when Juliet refuses to marry Paris Paris entirely acceptable `` Oh, 've... Hands are full getting ready for the Nurse shares a story about Juliet as a small child with Capulet. Study marriage Quotes - Romeo and Juliet Novels Notes | EduRev sample questions with examples at the age she. Links sex and violence, poison and cure in when they know.! | Shmoop JavaScript seems to be obeyed some marriage Quotes - Romeo Juliet! … for by your leaves, you can search for the same have of. '' to describe their passion him when they can be married what the heck happened to his earlier that. Time thou wilt perform the rite recounts a joke her husband once about! Joined my heart and Romeo 's love for Romeo is banished and Capulet Juliet... It is an ⌜ honor ⌝ that I must love a loathed enemy come, come at! Juliet describes her true love for his new wife is the Nurse agrees to help Juliet marry Romeo not do!